Not everything about the links I share are going to be things I necessarily agree with or endorse, but they all have some valuable things to glean from! Take what you can use :)

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Middle Eastern...ish Chicken and Rice

Had a hankerin' for Middle Eastern food and a recipe I'd scribbled down for shwarma seasoning so I took those and ran with 'em! Turned out absolutely delicious!



Meat
2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp allspice
1 rounded tsp sumac
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
fresh cracked black pepper

Mix everything and marinate as long as possible, overnight if you can. Then fry it up when ready to serve.

Yogurt Sauce
1 cup yogurt (I used greek but regular would have worked better)
juice of 1/2 a large lemon (or 1 small one)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cumin (depending on taste)

Whisk together and let flavours blend in the fridge for as long as possible, at least an hour would be preferable.

Salad
1 cucumber, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
juice of 1/2 a large lemon (or 1 small one)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

Toss everything together.

Rice
1 tbsp ghee or butter
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
2-4 cloves garlic, minsed
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
fresh cracked back pepper
2 bay leaves
3 cups chicken broth

In a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid, saute the onion in the ghee and olive oil until transluscent. Add everything else and bring to a boil with the lid on to heat the lid. Once a hard boil has been reached immediately transfer pot to thermal cooker (Wonderbag, cooler with blankets, etc) and let cook for 45 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Ooook, I need recipes please! That looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably should have written down what I was doing, just threw it together as I filmed. When I have some time I'll watch the vid and write out the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind; rude comments will be removed and that's no fun for anyone!